11 September 2012

Homemade Bread

I have been trying for awhile now to make a loaf of bread that's not a dense brick of carbs. A few weeks ago I tried an oatmeal molasses concoction which turned out okay but it still didn't rise enough for my taste (sorry there is no photo).

Today I made a loaf using a recipe that I've had lots of success with in the past to make a garlic and herb braided bread. I didn't include any of the spices so it's just a plain loaf.

It even has the bulge on top that is typical of breads - hooray!


I also made a pumpkin loaf (remember how I told you it was time that pumpkin made its way into everything?) this morning and put it along side the bread to give you a comparison.



So for the bread recipe:

  • 4 - 4 1/2 C bread flour (I used multigrain)
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 packages of quick rise yeast
  • 3/4 C milk
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/4 C butter (cubed)
  • 1 egg
  1. In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 C flour, sugar and both packages of yeast. Whisk to mix
  2. In a small saucepan heat the milk, water and cubed butter until it's heated through, but not boiling
  3. Add this milk/butter/water mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until moistened
  4. Add the egg and beat until smooth
  5. Stir in the remaining flour (I sometimes don't need the full 4 1/2 C, and just for for 4 C total) until it forms a smooth dough
  6. Knead until smooth
  7. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
  8. Grease a 9x5 pan in preparation
  9. Punch down and let rise in the pan you are going to cook it in (9x5 loaf pan) for about 25 minutes in a warm location
  10. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
  11. Remove from the pan to a wire rack and let cool


No comments:

Post a Comment








A space to better document my days and finds with visual aids and clickable links.