Today I made a loaf using a recipe that I've had lots of success with in the past to make a garlic and herb braided bread. I didn't include any of the spices so it's just a plain loaf.
It even has the bulge on top that is typical of breads - hooray!
I also made a pumpkin loaf (remember how I told you it was time that pumpkin made its way into everything?) this morning and put it along side the bread to give you a comparison.
So for the bread recipe:
- 4 - 4 1/2 C bread flour (I used multigrain)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 packages of quick rise yeast
- 3/4 C milk
- 1/2 C water
- 1/4 C butter (cubed)
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 C flour, sugar and both packages of yeast. Whisk to mix
- In a small saucepan heat the milk, water and cubed butter until it's heated through, but not boiling
- Add this milk/butter/water mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until moistened
- Add the egg and beat until smooth
- Stir in the remaining flour (I sometimes don't need the full 4 1/2 C, and just for for 4 C total) until it forms a smooth dough
- Knead until smooth
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
- Grease a 9x5 pan in preparation
- Punch down and let rise in the pan you are going to cook it in (9x5 loaf pan) for about 25 minutes in a warm location
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from the pan to a wire rack and let cool