I picked up a pumpkin at the grocery store yesterday and made this tasty treat:
Here's my recipe!
Pumpkin Filling Part I:
- Cut the pie pumpkin (much smaller than one you would carve) in half and scoop out the seeds
- Places the halves cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and with a little oil
- Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, the time will depend on the size of the pumpkin so just check it once it hits 45 minutes and go from there
- Remove from the oven, flip the halves over and let them cool. Scoop the flesh from the peel
- Puree with whatever form of blender/hand blender you have or mash with a potato masher
Pumpkin Filling Part II:
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2C of the pumpkin you just pureed
- 1C coconut milk
- Combine the brown and white sugar and spices in one bowl
- In a larger bowl: beat the eggs, add the sugar mixture, pumpkin and vanilla and mix until smooth (I use a whisk and that works really well)
- Fold in the coconut milk
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F
- Reduce to 350F and bake for 50-60 minutes (or until the knife comes out clean
Pastry for Single Crust Pie
- 1C white flour
- 1/4C whole wheat flour
- 1/3C butter
- Cold water
- Use a pastry blender (or fork) to cut in the butter until the pieces are pea sized
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water at a time over the flour mixture and toss with a fork. Repeat this until you have a dough and can work it into a ball. If it gets too wet just add a bit more flour.
- On a floured surface use your hands to flatten the ball into a circle and roll the pastry into a larger circle that's about 1/2cm thick.
- Transfer your pastry to the pie plate by rolling it onto the rolling pin and then rolling it back out over the pie plate.