10 August 2010

Farmers Market Facelift

After much anticipation of the Seaport Farmers Market it finally opened this past Saturday. I checked it out, but not before I stopped by the original Farmer Market stomping grounds at the Keiths Brewery.

It was like a ghost town!

I was aware that not all of the vendors made the move to the new market, but I thought it would be more of a 40% staying behind kind of deal - not quite.

This is a snap of the top level of the market, usually booming with people and nearly impossible to get through (it's where Mike's Fish used to stand).


It's a barren land with empty tables and it kind of feels like the apocalypse is upon us.

I wander through the main part of the market, where Alexander Keith stands with his beer'd hand outstretched to cheers the crowd. Sadly there are only a few vendors selling things and they aren't even people I've noticed at the market before. Maybe they were tucked away and since the market big wigs have made their exit they've swooped in for prime real estate.

I made my way down to where the meat guys (I'm sure they have an actual name) hang out - and they are still there! But it seems they are the only ones:



So I had enough of this depressing market and I promptly made my way over to the new and shiny Seaport Market!

I was definitely not the only one making the trip from old market to new as throngs of people made their way down Lower Water Street. This was just outside the new market, already out numbering the amount of people at the old market:



It was so busy that they had traffic directors, they even had vests on. Serious business. There was not only ONE traffic person but several. I don't remember this from the old market:


So I made it, past the directed traffic and construction equipment that's still being used on the building since it's not actually complete yet. And I was greeted with many, many, many people. This is a view from the top level of the space, it loops around 3/4 walls to give you ample viewing space and an extra location for crafters to sell their stuffs:


For those of you who didn't make it on Saturday the layout is pretty good (except for the many, many, many people). The far wall from the main entrance is an aisle dedicated to crafters - there was this really great red braided bracelet there that I really liked, but I surprisingly had self control and spent my money on food rather than accessories - impressive right?!

Then there are two larger aisles dedicated to food, drink, consumables and they have little paths that connect them throughout - this reminded me of my favorite organelle the mitochondria which cleverly increases its surface area by creating lots of folds to increase the amount of energy that can be produced - nerd, yes I know.

I found our favourite bread lady!! I'm so glad she didn't get lost in the shuffle, although I'm not sure how that would happen since she really makes the best bread in the world:


And of course, Mike's Fish made it - I love this sign! Things are certainly still under construction, I like their direct-ness. Well done Mike's Fish!


After all of that I made off with corn, tomatoes and eggs. I will be back market, oh yes, I will be back And hopefully the crowds will have thinned at least moderately.

No comments:

Post a Comment








A space to better document my days and finds with visual aids and clickable links.