17 January 2011

Carbo Loading - To The Max!

In an attempt to know all of the ingredients in the food that I eat (and be able to pronounce them) I've started making my own bread AND bagels!

My first bread attempt resulted in a dense loaf that had a particularly gluten free bread taste to it - which is strange because I actually added gluten to it to make up for not having real bread flour (a tip I picked up from a few bread making websites).


I'm still eating this loaf, so it's edible but much too dense for my liking.

The bagels I made on the weekend turned out much better. It turns out bagels are pretty simple to make but just take a bit of time and patience.

I got the recipe from this website, it appealed to me because of its simplicity which I enjoy when making something new.

You start by making the dough and then separating it into 8 pieces to let rest for a little while:


Then you roll the pieces out into snakes, make it into a loop and roll it out. The website I linked has a video!


Then you let them rest again and this is what they look like, not too much difference:



Once they have risen you put them into a bot of boiling water, 1 minute on each side which seemed strange to me - putting dough in boiling water but here we go:



This is what boiled bagel dough looks like!


After a quick trip in the oven this is what the bagels looked like - not burnt, hooray!!





And another look, why not:



After all of that work (which really just too more time than effort) Greg made some yummy breakfast sandwiches from my bagels:



It think knowing what is in my food definitely makes it taste better. This was one yummy meal!

I made the bagels on Saturday and apparently I didn't meet my bread quota for the weekend because on Sunday I busted out the yeast and flour and was at it again. This time with a different recipe, from Jamie Oliver's website.

Pre-risen bread, apparently cutting it down the middle helps with the rising:


Where I kept the bread on on and off to help it rise. This is one toasty warm heater:


A sneak peak at the rising bread:



The finished product, this bread was lighter but still really hearty. It could be lighter still, it's not that fluffy bread I'm hoping for. I'm going to keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment








A space to better document my days and finds with visual aids and clickable links.