22 April 2010

Adventures In Silk Screening

After being inspired by the many beautiful wears at the Halifax Crafters Market I'm going to take a stab at silk screening. I've dabbled in making stencils from cardboard or wax paper and acrylic paints but those haven't always turned out the way I imagined and there is no way to get images as detailed as I would like.

I was doing a bit of research on how to silk screen last night and came across lots of text explanations but I learn by seeing not just reading. So I went on a YouTube hunt, I found some tutorials but nothing complete which is a bit frustrating. Then I came across this amazing (but very gear centered) video:





This set up is way beyond my means, but you can't go wrong with screen printing wolves, and then putting lights in their eyes AND making them howl! It might be a bit of creative overkill but I still thought it was awesome.

So my silk screening adventure will continue with more research and perhaps a trip to DeSerres for some hands on browsing and pestering of their staff.


To Be Continued!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, old friend!

    Screenprinting is a lot of fun and much less complicated than most people/online tutorials make it seem. Definitely give it a try.

    But do you have any pals who are in-the-know and can show you how? It's a really tough thing to learn from tutorials or books, since there are so much equipment and so many steps and variables involved. It took me a few months to figure out correctly, but since learning I've taught other people how to do it in less than an afternoon.

    If you're going to do it the photosensitive way (which is the best -and dare I say, only- worthwhile way to do it [no thank you Ms. Colford and that horrendous "stencil" printing we did in 8th Grade drafting class]), you're going to need a lot of equipment. The good news is that you can buy most of it in a kit for ~$50 at any reputable art store (I'm sure DeSerres has it), which ends up being cheaper than getting all the stuff separately. Also, I think it comes with instructions that are pretty decent, if memory serves.

    Also, if'n ever you're around Sackville while I'm back for a visit, I'd be happy to give you a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pam!

    Thanks for the tips, Greg's house mate has the gear for silk screening so I want to ask him about it and if he can give me the low down.

    I totally forgot about Ms. Colford, thanks for the reminder, she was one interesting teacher :)

    Are you planning on coming to Sackville any time soon? I'd love to see you and of course learn your silk screening ways!

    ReplyDelete








A space to better document my days and finds with visual aids and clickable links.